Friday, November 30, 2007

HOW DOES SHE KNOW THAT YOU LOVE HER

L.O.V.E - I'm learning to sing this famous old tune by the late Nat King Cole of the mid 1950s. Nat was an American legend. His music thrives even till now with contemporary artistes today covering some of his best hits. This song, for the record, peaked the billboard in 1964, seven months after the Beatles hit the Ed Sullivan Show. And each time it plays on my stereo, it just makes me smile. Nat Cole sang of love like it was the most beautiful thing alive. Like a fire unquenchable. He sang of a love that is rapturous, playful and one that always prevails. He sang a song of fantasy. Oh - you bet!

But of course, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a clergyman to know that love brings the happiest moments and the sad ones too.

One friend is reading this book titled I Give Dating A Chance.



I bet she's ready to fall in love anytime soon. Maybe she already has :D

Talking about love brings me to this simple giving principle I learned recently.

"You can give without loving someone. But you cannot love a person without giving."

This is what it means to say. You can give beautiful flowers to your girlfriend without loving her. But you can't love your girlfriend and not give anything to her! This is the very nature of love - it GIVES and will continue to give! And what you give to a person is a measure of the VALUE of that person to you. If your girlfriend is of great value to you, then you would want to give something that is of great value to yourself. (You don't just propose to a girl with a ring you buy at the flea market, do you? You'll starve everyday just to save enough money to buy her the most brilliant diamonds!) And that is why another attribute of love is SELF-SACRIFICIAL! Above all, love is more than just saying, "I love you", it is also marked by remember birthdays and anniversaries and shown by a generous liberal giving attitude. Like how newly-wed husbands would pick a Tiffany and Co and not Perlini Silver for his wife?! Without giving, there is no value to back up to whatever you're saying.

At times when I struggle with paying my tithes, I would be reminded of this little principle. How can I love God with all my heart, soul and mind when I am reluctant to even fork out one-tenth of my increase and lay it on the altar. My praise to God and love for Him will be empty if my tithes are still in my pocket. Because the tribute has not been paid. And with the same principle, God is not so much interested with the amount we put into the offering bag every week. Because no angel is going to descend, collect the cash and bring it up to rebuild some of heaven's infrastructure. God is looking at the way we value him by what we are willing to sacrifice.

Anyway, the past few days have been awesome because I get to spend time with some people. Hah.




Lastly, one trick I was taught. Buy a Perlini Silver chain and wrap it up with a Tiffany and Co's box. That way, nobody knows! OOPS! =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home