Saturday, July 26, 2008

KEVIN'S IN PERTH

Hi everyone from sunny island Singapore ..

Greetings from Perth! I'm presenting exploiting one of the free wireless networks outside my hotel which allows me to go online for a limited period of time. So when my session dies off, I'll re-apply for a new trial account. It's kinda dumb but a desperate situation calls for a desperate measure man!

I've taken lotsa photos but unfortunately, I couldn't get them uploaded because picture files are big! And when I exceed a certain amount of bandwidth which this trial account provides, I get disconnected. So it's really pathetic. But at least, I could still talk on MSN for a decent period of 15 minutes? Hah.

So what's up in Perth?

Firstly, it's really cold here. Everyone wears a jacket wherever they go. In the night, it gets even colder when the breeze attacks! The temperature falls between 9 to 17 degrees so it's pretty much free air-con for the city!

Secondly, food prices are crazy! A food court style serving say chicken rice will cost AUD 9.50. Take that and multiply by 1.3 (exchange rate) and that would give you a rough SGD 12.50! A 600ml bottle of coke from the supermarket will cost AUD 2.60 which is about SGD 3.30! And the final bomb is this - a plate of white rice (I'm talking about plain normal white rice you get from chicken rice etc) will cost AUD 3.50. It's $4.50 for a freakin plate of plain rice! I should consider eating the bark of the tree outside my campus whenever I'm broke.

Thirdly, Internet is very expensive! Over here, there aren't any unlimited plans such as those in found Singapore. How lucky you Singaporeans! In Perth, they charge by the amount of data that you download. So I have to actually disable images when I surf the web. I feel like I'm an online beggar now. Once, I was an online tycoon ripping off gigabytes of data via bittorrent everyday!

Fourthly, Australian television is airing much crap. Just check out Jerry Springer. This is something that our MDA will not tolerate! And I honestly think that our government is doing the right thing by putting the right stuff on screen. There's even this program featuring some psychic guy trying to connect to the death. And The Simpson's cartoons here seem more crude than what's showing in Singapore. It's interesting but altogether crappy at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home